Diocese of Brooklyn
Code of Pastoral Conduct
Our children are the most important gifts God has entrusted to us. As a volunteer, I promise to strictly follow the rules and guidelines in this Volunteer’s Code of Pastoral Conduct as a condition of my providing services to the children and young people of our Diocese, parishes or affiliated agencies.
As a volunteer,
· I WILL treat everyone, including clergy, religious, parents and other adults and children with respect, loyalty, patience, courtesy, and dignity.
· I WILL represent the teachings of the Catholic Church with integrity in word and action.
· I WILL work collaboratively with the clergy, other supervisors and associates in ministry.
· I WILL avoid situations where I am alone with children and/or young people before, during or after Church activities.
· I WILL maintain appropriate boundaries in my relationships with children and/or young people.
· I WILL use positive reinforcement rather than criticism, competition, or comparison when working with children and/or young people.
· I WILL refuse to accept expensive gifts from children and/or young people or their parents without prior written approval from the pastor or administrator.
· I WILL refrain from giving gifts to children and/or young people without prior written approval from the parents or legal guardian and the pastor or administrator.
· I WILL immediately report suspected abuse to the pastor, administrator, or appropriate supervisor and to appropriate authorities as required by law.
· I WILL cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of children and/or young people.
As a volunteer,
· I WILL NOT interact with children or young people through E-mail except for delivering information for the program I am providing.
· I WILL NOT assist children and young people to access pornography or other sexual material online or influence their exploration of pornography through any media outlet.
· I WILL NOT use parish, school or any agency computers to participate in chat rooms.
· I WILL NOT photograph children or young people without the explicit permission of the parents or legal guardian.
· I WILL NOT touch a child and/or young person in a sexual or other inappropriate manner.
· I WILL NOT use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs at any time while volunteering in any diocesan, parish or church activity.
· I WILL NOT pose any health risk to children and/or young people.
· I WILL NOT strike, spank, shake, or slap children and/or any young person.
· I WILL NOT humiliate, ridicule, threaten, or degrade children and/or any young person.
· I WILL NOT use any discipline that frightens or humiliates children and/or young people.
I WILL NOT use profanity, sexual language or any other inappropriate language in the presence of children and/or young people.